Almanack April 8 2013 Issue PDF Download
Come aboard for a fun parent-only night out with fellow Franklin families and teachers! We will have a sit-down first-class dinner, dancing, live auction and a few surprises!
Saturday, May 4th, 2013: 5:30pm – 11pm
Museum of Flying (festive dressy attire)
5:30pm Cocktail & Silent Auction; 7:00pm Dinner & Live Auction
Seating is limited – maximum 250 people
Early Boarding Ticket (through April 19th): $95
Regular Boarding Ticket (April 19th – April 26th): $115
Purchase ticket at: http://tinyurl.com/franklinauction
We can’t wait to see you there!
ENROLLMENT NOW OPEN FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL SUMMER ADVENTURE: Now Five Weeks! Make plans for middle school summer fun now. The Summer Adventure Middle School Program, co-sponsored by the SMMPTA Council and the Santa Monica-Malibu Ed Foundation, is the perfect solution for middle school summer enrichment and fun. Students entering grades 6-9 will enjoy a wide variety of courses like Culinary Science, Multi Media Art, Public Speaking, CSI Science, Flag Football, Volleyball, Digital Photography, Keyboarding, Middle School Masters, Jazz Ensemble, and more! For a full list of classes and registration material, just visit www.smmpta.org or smmef.org.
Classes begin on Monday, June 17th and run through Friday, July 19th, from 8:30 A.M. to 12:30 P.M. at John Adams Middle School (no classes on July 4th.) For more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org. An EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT applies to all applications received by April 15th. Thank you so much!
Middle School Program
Dear Franklin Families,
In April, State Testing will begin for grades 2-5 throughout the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District. This is your child’s opportunity to show us all what he or she has learned throughout the year. These tests are aligned with the state-adopted standards. You will receive the results of the tests by early September.
It is important that your child knows how important these assessments are; however, we don’t want them to feel nervous or stressed about them.
Here are some important tips during the few weeks of testing:
- It is important for students to attend daily so that they do not need to complete a make up test.
- Please schedule all appointments for after school. Make up testing can be stressful for some students because it is generally done outside of their regular class environment.
- Make sure your child gets a good night sleep each night.
- Provide a good breakfast.
- Make sure your child is on time to school. Rushing can cause unnecessary stress.
Below are the scheduled testing times. Most students will take the California Standards Tests which will begin on either April 17 or April 22 depending on the gradelevel. The first set of dates are for those taking the California Modified Assessment (CMA). The second is for the CST.
State testing is going to begin on April 15 with those taking the California Modified Exam (CMA) starting first.
- 3rd graders taking the CMA will test Monday, April 15 through Wednesday, April 24 beginning at 10:15am.
- 4th graders taking the CMA will test Monday, April 15 through Monday, April 22 beginning at 10:40am.
- 5th graders taking the CMA will test on Monday, April 15 through Thursday, April 18 and then again Monday, April 22 through Friday, April 26 beginning at 10:15am.
Most Students will take the California Standards Test (CST). The schedule is below.
- 2nd graders: Monday, April 22 through Monday, April 29 beginning at 10am
- 3rd graders: Monday, April 22 through Monday, April 29 beginning at 10:15am.
- 4th graders: Monday, April 22 through Friday, April 26 beginning at 10:40am.
- 5th graders: Wednesday, April 17 through April 18 beginning at 10:15am and then Tuesday, April 23 through Friday, April 26am beginning at 10:15am.
Thank you for your attention.
Franklin PTA would like to honor and congratulate the following 2013 HSA recipients for their outstanding service to the Franklin Community! We are grateful for all that you do to make Franklin an exceptional school for our children. Thank you!
Continuing Service Awards
Honorary Service Awards
Jennifer Chow Bevan
Erin Einstein Dale
Very Special Person Awards
Alice Ann Wilson
Fifth Grade Parent Honorees
Sign up to take part helping our school be more secure than ever. We are starting a “gatekeeper” program at Franklin (similar to what is in place at Lincoln Middle School). We need volunteers to sign up for a 1-1/2 hour shift, once a week, anytime between 9:00-3:00 (till 1:30 on Wednesdays). This is very easy to do — just sit outside the front office and sign guests in and out. While there, you can take some time to read, pay bills, etc. But most importantly, keeping the front gate secure and knowing who is going in and out of Franklin. Please go to http://www.mysignup.com/gatekeeper to volunteer. If you have any questions, contact Kim Jaffe or Varso Mesrobian in the front office for more information.