What is the Ed Foundation and why am I being asked to donate?
The Ed Foundation raises money each year to enhance and supplement the curriculum of all schools in our District. Its funding is made up of parent, community and business donations, as well as revenue from fundraising events.
Essential staff, such as our classroom aides and noon-duty aides, are paid for through the Ed Foundation’s Fund. So are well-loved programs like STAR Science and P.S. ARTS.
Without donations from parents, we would not be able to have these staff or programs at Franklin.
What exactly is funded at Franklin from Ed Foundation donations?
- Music and Art… A 30-week program of Visual Art and Music (Grades K-2) and Visual Art and Theater (Grades 3-5), provided by Teaching Artists from P.S. ARTS.
- Instructional Assistants… Working alongside your child’s teacher in the classroom, and providing invaluable support every day.
- STAR Science… A 10-week program of dedicated science instruction for all students, aligned with California’s Next Generation Science Standards and provided by specialist educators from STAR Science.
- Noon-Duty Aides… Helping to keep your child safe on the playground during lunch recess every day.
- Health Office Clerk… Ensuring your child has full-time access to a health specialist when they get injured or sick during the school day.
- Ballroom Dance… A fun and rewarding program for all students in fifth grade.
- Supplemental Music, Science or Art… For all students; the subject will vary by grade.
- Substitute Teachers… Enabling your child’s teacher to attend professional development training and collaborations, and to assess students individually to help inform their teaching.
So, should I give to the Ed Foundation as well as the PTA?
Yes! Both the PTA and the Ed Foundation are critical funding sources for our school, but it’s important to know that they fund different things. The PTA cannot fund staff and programs. The PTA pays for “stuff” and experiences like field trips, assemblies and clubs.
Only by contributing to BOTH are you fully supporting an excellent education for your child.
OK, how do I donate?
You can donate anytime, either online HERE or by picking up a donation envelope at the front office.
You can make a one-time donation by cash, check or card. Or you can decide to pay monthly, in installments, or even just pledge an amount now to donate at any time before June 30 2017.
Thanks so much for your support!
Are there other ways I can help beyond donating to the Ed Foundation ?
Yes! You can support the Ed Foundation while you shop. The Ed Foundation is partnered with Goodshop, AmazonSmile and Giving Assistant – find out more HERE.
You can participate in the Ed Foundation’s Spring events. Here are some events from previous years. Be sure to check the calendar for this year’s events!
A benefit concert: at SAMOHI’s Barnum Hall. Nationally-recognized student musicians performed alongside Michael McDonald, with special guest Amy Holland, “Weird Al” Yankovic, Richard Page and VENICE. It was an incredible evening of music. It’s always a sell-out event.
A dance event: think “Dancing with the Stars” in your own backyard, a fun event including 5th Grade student performers showcasing their ballroom dance techniques.
A wine auction: at the Fairmont Miramar. Wine and food tastings, live and silent auctions, music, dancing and fun.
I still have questions. Can I talk to someone?
Reach out to the PTA at email@example.com. Alternatively, please visit smmef.org, where you’ll find lots more information about what the Ed Foundation does.
Thanks to the many families who have already given their support.