PTA Needs Your Help to End Gun Violence
Any act of violence at a school or involving children and youth is intolerable.
California State PTA is continuing our efforts to demand an end to gun violence. We will be addressing gun violence, school safety and mental health issues with federal lawmakers in Washington D.C. on March 13 – 15th during the 2018 National PTA Legislation Conference.
And we need your help! On Wednesday, March 14th, stand together with PTA and “call out” your federal lawmakers to demand stronger gun-violence prevention legislation including:
- Prohibiting the sale and possession of assault weapons including automatic and semi-automatic weapons
- Mandatory background checks
- Waiting periods for all firearm purchases.
On Wednesday, March 14th, students will be walking out nationwide to demand stronger gun-violence prevention legislation. Franklin families can show solidarity with this effort in two ways:
- Join Franklin’s “Peace and Protection” circle. Come at 10:05am to link arms with other Franklin parents on Montana while our students form concentric circles on the playground field. Parents will line up on Montana outside the front entrance and, if enough participate, form the outermost protective circle around the entire school. We’ll stand for 17 minutes to commemorate the 17 Parkland fatalities. Please help make this symbol visible to the whole community! If you’re able to wear your Franklin logowear or the color orange, please do.
- Participate in the California PTA’s “Call Out”to demand that federal legislators take action. Follow this link on March 14th to be automatically connected with your California legislators: https://www.votervoice.net/CAPTA/campaigns/57206/respond. Prompts will remind you of the important points to ask for. Please be courteous and direct.
For more information, please see the PTA Action to End Gun Violence flyer.