Welcome back! We hope you enjoyed a fun and relaxing spring break and are ready to get back into the swing of science! Mark your calendars for these important dates!
Heal The Bay, Tuesday, April 23, 6:30 pm, Cafetorium!
Get educated about how we can keep our beautiful oceans clean! Heal the Bay will join us on Tuesday, April 23, 6:30 pm in the Cafetorium and talk about ocean appreciation, resources we use from the ocean, sources and impacts of marine debris, and ways we can keep our oceans clean and healthy. We will also learn about the storm drain system and how it takes water and trash to the ocean, different types of contaminants, and ingestion and entanglement, which are ways that trash can hurt marine life. And finally, we will learn about Heal the Bay volunteer opportunities and how to stay safe when we go to the beach!
Water Balloon Drop, Wednesday, May 8, 1:30 pm, Front Lawn!
But wait, there’s more! Get ready to build your contraption for our Annual Water Balloon Drop, which will take place on Wednesday, May 8, 1:30 pm in front of the school on the Terrace next to Mr. Reff’s classroom.
Don’t forget important contest rules!
1. Each contestant needs to build an apparatus that will enable a water balloon to survive the fall from the windows of Ms. Flynn’s second story classroom without breaking.
2. Each device will be tested only once. Success is determined entirely by whether the water balloon survives the drop.
3. Students must provide all materials, including the water balloon filled with water no smaller than a 12″ circumference (hint: wrap a tape measure around the filled balloon).
4. Maximum size water balloon apparatus to be 12″x12″x12″.
5. Each balloon must be filled with tap water without additives.
6. Only students who create a water balloon apparatus and participate in this event will receive prizes and credit towards their Science Club Explorer’s Trophy.
Interested in working behind the scenes as a Water Balloon Drop Volunteer? Just visit: http://www.mysignup.com/waterballoonvolunteers2013