Franklin’s Green Team is excited to present our new sorting stations which will be rolled out on Friday during the morning assembly. The stations include a liquids bucket, recycling, landfill and compost bins. The new stations are color coded and clearly marked. Franklin wants to help the district comply with California’s recycling law (AB 1826) which requires us to sort our trash.
This year’s Recycling Week lineup includes:
- The City of Santa Monica’s Resource and Recovery department will present ‘Squirmy Wormy’, a vermicomposting workshop on Tuesday.
- reDiscover Center of Culver City will be on campus Tuesday and Thursday. This environmental nonprofit promotes resource conservation, creativity and community engagement. These events are sponsored by the City of Santa Monica.
- Felix Boulton, a Franklin 5th grader and Grades of Green Youth Corps member, is hosting a lunch area cleanup at 3pm on Thursday. Please join him, snacks provided!
- Grades of Green is back to help our students sort their lunchtime waste on Friday and will present an assembly to K & 1st grade students with Franklin’s Youth Corps members.
- A tour of Santa Monica Community Recycling Center, 2411 Delaware Ave., SM 90404. 310-453-9677 on Friday the 27th at 3:30pm. The tour will last one hour and is limited to 40 people. No sign up. It is outdoors. Wear closed toe shoes. Bring items you would like to recycle and those you wonder about like: bubble wrap, juice boxes, batteries and plastics without recycling labels.
If you have any questions, please email Lisa Piper at Lisa@nickpiper.tv.