Hello, Franklin Families!
SMMEF – let’s call it the Ed Foundation – raises money each year to enhance and supplement the curriculum of all schools in our District. Its Annual Fund is made up of parent, community and business donations, as well as revenue from fundraising events.
Essential staff, such as our classroom aides and noon-duty aides, are paid for through the Ed Foundation’s Annual Fund. So are well-loved programs like STAR Science and P.S. ARTS.
Without donations from parents, we would not be able to have these staff or programs at Franklin.
What exactly is funded at Franklin from Ed Foundation donations?
- Music and Art… A 30-week program of Visual Art and Music (Grades K-2) and Visual Art and Theater (Grades 3-5), provided by Teaching Artists from P.S. ARTS.
- Instructional Assistants… Working alongside your child’s teacher in the classroom, and providing invaluable support every day.
- STAR Science… A 10-week program of dedicated science instruction for all students, aligned with California’s Next Generation Science Standards and provided by specialist educators from STAR Science.
- Noon-Duty Aides… Helping to keep your child safe on the playground during lunch recess every day.
- Health Office Clerk… Ensuring your child has full-time access to a health specialist when they get injured or sick during the school day.
- Ballroom Dance… A fun and rewarding program for all students in fifth grade.
- Supplemental Music, Science or Art… For all students; the subject will vary by grade.
- Substitute Teachers… Enabling your child’s teacher to attend professional development training and collaborations, and to assess students individually to help inform their teaching.
So, should I give to the Ed Foundation as well as the PTA?
Yes! Both the PTA and the Ed Foundation are critical funding sources for our school, but it’s important to know that they fund different things. Our PTA cannot fund staff and programs. PTAs pay for “stuff” and experiences like field trips, assemblies and clubs.
Only by contributing to BOTH are you fully supporting an excellent education for your child.
OK, how do I donate?
You can donate anytime, either online at smmef.org/donate or by picking up a donation envelope at the front office.
You can make a one-time donation by cash, check or card. Or you can decide to pay monthly, in installments, or even just pledge an amount now to donate at any time before June 30 2017.
Thanks so much for your support!