We are excited to announce that we are collaborating with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in offering its NAMI Basics classes at SMASH (2525 5th St, Santa Monica, CA 90405). Its launch date is Tuesday November 7th and will conclude on December 12th. The class will run for approximately two hours, 8:30 (at school drop-off) until 10:30 am.
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program for parents and family caregivers of children and teens (6-18 years old) who are experiencing symptoms of a mental illness ‘brain-based disorder’ or whom have already been diagnosed. NAMI Basics is offered in a group setting so that you can connect with other people face-to-face.
You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school, and when they are receiving medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.
The course is taught by a trained team with live, in vivo experience—they know what you’re going through because they have BEEN there. The 6-session program provides critical strategies for taking care of your child and learning the ropes of recovery.
What You’ll Gain from participating in the NAMI Basics class–you’ll find out that you are NOT alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is HOPE. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—you can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation. You also can help others with your own experiences.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings
- Learning about current treatments, including evidence-based therapies, medications and side effects
- Gaining an overview of the public mental health care, school and juvenile justice systems and supporting resources to help you navigate these systems
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
For more information go to www.namila.org.
Please confirm your attendance ASAP!
Thank you, and with much appreciation,