- Handwashing & Coughs: Practice frequent handwashing (wash hands for 20 seconds with
warm water & soap) & cough into a tissue or elbow.
- Fever/Vomiting/Diarrhea: It is advised to keep students home for 24 hours after fever, vomiting or fever has subsided. This helps them to rest, recover & keeps the school healthy!
- Lice: Please periodically check your child’s scalp for lice. Remind them not to share: hats, helmets, hair accessories, brushes etc. Lice nits are very small, white and stay stuck to the hair strand. The main symptom for lice is scalp itching. Lice is common & treatment is available over the counter at your local drug store. Please alert the Health Office if you see lice.
- Temporary Assistive Devices: In order to keep everyone safe at school, we need a clearance note from Physicians for students with any type of assistive device: brace, splint, wrap, crutches, wheelchair etc. The note needs to specify: physical activity restrictions, the duration and type of device they are wearing. This allows us to alert the PE coaches, teachers & staff so they can modify activities as needed for your child. A student using assistive devices without a form on file will be sent home.
- Medication Authorization Form: We must have a current Medication Authorization Form on file in the Health Office if your child is needing to take any medication at school (prescription, over the counter, cough drops & homeopathic). This form needs to be completed by both Parent & Physician for the current school year.
- Students are not allowed to bring medication to school without the proper paperwork & notifying the School Nurse. See the Health Services page of the SMMUSD Website & the Parent Handbook for more information. All forms are available in the Health Office. Please stop by if you have any questions!
Priscilla C. Guzman, RN, BSN School Nurse
Franklin 310-828-2814 X 62-209