Dear Franklin Families,
Each year, students in grades three through eight and high school participate in the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP).
This year, your child will take the following test(s), depending on their grade level:
· Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments for English language arts/literacy and mathematics in grades three through eight and grade eleven.
· California Science Test (CAST) in grades five and eight and once in high school.
The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments and the CAST are online tests that measure what your student knows and is able to do. The tests include many different types of questions that allow students to interact with the test questions. Results help identify gaps in knowledge or skills early on so your child can get the support needed to be successful in school.
April 28, 2019 – May 30, 2010 is our testing window.
You are an important part of your child’s education. To help your child get ready for the test you can:
- Talk about the test with your child. Make sure they are not scared or anxious.
- Tell your child that you and their teacher have high expectations and are both there to help, every step of the way.
- Take a practice test with your child.
- Make sure your child gets a good night’s sleep and a nutritious breakfast before testing.
To learn more about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments or the CAST, go to the California Department of Education Parent Guides to Understanding Web page at https://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/parentguidetounderstand.asp.
You also can look at sample test questions on the practice tests, which can be found on the CAASPP Web Portal at http://www.caaspp.org/practice-and-training/index.html.
Pursuant to California Education Code Section 60615, parents/guardians may annually submit to the school a written request to excuse their child from any or all of the CAASPP assessments. Please let the school know as soon as possible so we can make alternative arrangements for your student.
If you have questions, please contact Franklin Elementary at email@example.com
Deanna Sinfield and Cynthia McGregory