National PTA Reflections® Theme: “Let Your Imagination Fly”
The theme for the 2015 – 2016 National PTA Reflections® Program is “Let Your Imagination Fly.” Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted. Students must adhere to the General Participation Rules as well as the rules for their specific arts categories. [wptabs] [wptabtitle]Eligibility[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
Students must participate in the National PTA Reflections® Program through a local PTA/PTSA in good standing. Parent groups not affiliated with National PTA are not eligible to sponsor this program. It is the responsibility of the state and local PTA/PTSA to determine each student’s eligibility in the National PTA Reflections® Program. A student may develop an entry in or outside of school. [/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle]Divisions[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
[one_half]Students may enter the National PTA Reflections® Program in the appropriate division for their Grade.
- Primary: Preschool – Grade 2
- Intermediate: Grades 3-5
- Middle School: Grades 6-8
- High School: Grades 9-12
- Special Artist: All grades welcome
[/one_half] [one_half_last]If students do not fall under specific grade divisions, National PTA suggests they be grouped by age:
- Primary Up to age 7
- Intermediate Ages 8-10
- Middle School Ages 11-13
- High School Ages 14+
- Special Artist All ages welcome[/one_half_last]
There are six arts categories
- Dance choreography
- Film production
- Musical composition
- Visual arts
Students may enter the National PTA Reflections® Program in one or more arts categories. See each Arts Category Rules for additional entry requirements. [/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle]Entry[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
How to Enter
Entrants must submit their artwork and student entry form to their local PTA/PTSA program according to local and state PTA procedures. Entrants must follow requirements and instructions specific to each arts category and division. Contact local PTA programs for deadlines and additional information. [/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle]Requirements[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent]
Entry Requirements (All participants must also follow Arts Category and Division Rules)
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the 2015-2016 theme: “Let Your Imaginations Fly” may be submitted.
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only. An adult may not alter the creative integrity of a student’s work. Because the program is designed to encourage and recognize each student’s individual creativity, help from an adult or collaboration with other students is not allowed except in the Special Artist Division. Only one student may be recognized as the award recipient for each entry. Other individuals may appear in or perform a student’s work, but the work itself must be the creative product of one student only. See the specific Arts Category Rules for details.
- Each entry must contain a title and all entries must include an artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include at least one sentence, but may not exceed 100 words.
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries.
- Plagiarized entries will be disqualified.
- Use of PowerPoint presentations are prohibited because most graphic elements are copyrighted.
[/wptabcontent] [wptabtitle]Judging[/wptabtitle] [wptabcontent] Entries are reviewed at the local, regional, state and national levels. Each PTA determines its own judges for the program. Entries will be judged primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme, originality and creativity. The National PTA Reflections® program makes no restrictions on content or subject matter in artwork. Under no condition may parents or students contact the judges to dispute the status of any entry. Entries are judged in the following areas:
- Interpretation of the Theme