What is the Ed Foundation and why should I donate?
The Ed Foundation raises money each year to fund additional school staff and programs to enhance the curriculum at Franklin and public schools in Santa Monica. The Foundation asks parents, grandparents, community members and local businesses to donate each year. The Foundation also raised revenue from fundraising events. Essential staff and programs, such as our classroom aides, and P.S. ARTS, are paid for through your donations to the Ed Foundation. Without donations from parents, we would not be able to have these staff or programs at Franklin.
What exactly is funded at Franklin from Ed Foundation donations?
- Music and Art… A 15-week arts program, provided by Teaching Artists from P.S. ARTS.
- Instructional Assistants… Working alongside your child’s teacher to provide small group instruction and more individualized learning for each child
- Franklin’s Stretch Grant… Each year Franklin receives a grant to fund staff and programs chosen by our school site council. This year’s stretch grant-funded programs are being finalized by the principal and school site council. In previous years, the stretch grant has funded programs like:
- STAR Science… A 10-week program of dedicated science instruction for all students, aligned with California’s Next Generation Science Standards and provided by specialist educators from STAR Science.
- Noon-Duty Aides… Helping to keep your child safe on the playground during lunch recess every day.
- Health Office Clerk… Ensuring your child has full-time access to a health specialist when they get injured or sick during the school day.
- Supplemental Music, Science or Art… For all students; the subject varies by grade.
- Substitute Teachers… Enabling your child’s teacher to attend professional development training and collaboration meetings, and to assess students individually to help inform their teaching.
So, should I give to the Ed Foundation as well as the PTA?
Yes! Both the PTA and the Ed Foundation are critical funding sources for our school. It’s important to know that they fund different things. The PTA cannot fund staff and programs. The PTA pays for “stuff” and experiences like field trips, assemblies and clubs.
Only by contributing to BOTH are you fully supporting an excellent education for your child.
OK, how do I donate?
You can donate anytime online HERE or download and print THIS DONATION FORM and mail it to the Ed Foundation at 1645 16th Street, Santa Monica, CA 90404.
You can make a one-time donation you can become a monthly donor, making smaller payments each month.
Thanks so much for your support!
Are there other ways I can help beyond donating to the Ed Foundation?
Yes! You can support the Ed Foundation while you shop. The Ed Foundation is partnered with AmazonSmile – find out more HERE.
You can participate in the Ed Foundation’s Spring events. Here are some events from previous years. Be sure to check the calendar for this year’s events!
*A benefit concert at Samohi’s Barnum Hall. Nationally-recognized student musicians performed alongside A-list stars. Past performers have included Jackson Browne, Billy Idol, Rick Springfield, David Crosby and more! It is an incredible evening of music.
*A wine auction at the Fairmont Miramar. Wine and food tastings, live and silent auctions, music, dancing and fun.
I still have questions. Can I talk to someone?
Reach out to the PTA President Jane Schmitz at email@example.com or Rachel Faulkner, Ed Foundation Associate Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, please visit smedfoundation.org, where you’ll find lots more information about what the Ed Foundation does.
Thanks to the many families who have already given their support.